life...or something like it

Thursday, October 05, 2006

I'm alllll about jobs

I definitely fell into the "general" job search category, mostly because I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Here is what I do know: I like writing about things that matter, but that I can also offer my opinion on and even incorporate some humor. I'm not big on newspapers, so I'm leaning more toward magazines and free-lancing. I looked at websites like Time Magazine and The New Republic, which both focus on political issues of today...which really interest me. I found more and more that blogging is a big part of these magazines. The majority of contributing writers to these magazines also have semi-professional blogs where they go more in depth with their opinions. I thought that was pretty interesting.

I also did a job search at RTNDA to see what was out there. Ironically, the first time I searched, I got zero results. So, that really pumped me up for my future.

For the subscription site, I checked out Media Line as well. I don't think I'm ready to pay for a job search site because I'm still trying to narrow down my interests. Plus, I'm starting to look into and apply to graduate schools.

I'd like to keep up with my writing and interest in political science. We had a very interesting discussion in Broadcast Journalism today concerning agenda setting. I am very interested in the media's role in framing...especially in the political world.

The whole job thing scares me...I'm not gonna lie. I feel like I will never find that one thing that I do well. Right now, I only have things that interest me that I don't really do anything with. It's very hard to narrow down my interests and actually think about life after graduation...

1 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You'll go through all sorts of feelings over the next two semesters.

But remember being prepared is key. Have a plan and consider options and network, network, network...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home