life...or something like it

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

And that's all she wrote.

I may be the only one with this problem, but sometimes I forget that there is life outside of broadcasting. And then finals week rolls around, and I'm reminded.

This has been a hectic couple of weeks, as I'm sure it has been for everyone, and now it's time to reflect on this semester's capstone class and my senior project. After seeing the first round of capstone presentations, I got scared. I realized how much I want mine to be something I can be proud of and want to show off. That is why I seem to be having so much trouble nailing down a senior project. I know what I want to do, and I have been working on it throughout the semester (still not quite done)...but I'm struggling with who I should show it to for some feedback over Christmas break. Since it has a lot to do with my writing, I'd like to show it to someone in the magazine business...or even radio since I've incorporated sound and music clips. It's not really hard news and it's long format so I'm not sure who the best person would be to review it. Any ideas??

Capstone class this semester was an interesting experience. I still have moments where I have to remind myself that I am actually a senior and only have a few more months here. As much as I think I'm ready to graduate, I feel like I should be more worried about my future and what to do next. I have so many interests, I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. One thing Capstone did help me to realize is that I'm not alone in these feelings. Even some of the Alumni that we interviewed didn't know exactly where they were going to end up...and just kept trying until something fit. I really enjoyed doing that interview and hearing from other people. Not only was it good for networking, but it reminded me that all of these people were in our boat at one point or another, and they turned out okay.

I'm looking forward to next semester, finishing my senior project, enhancing my resume, and improving my newscasts and radio shifts. I'm also looking forward to taking Radio/TV announcing with Dr. B to brush up on those skills as well. I just want to do as much as I can while I'm still here so I don't regret not participating in something just because I wasn't sure if it was for me. I'm glad I got to do the interview segment for TCL...and hopefully I can help with that next semester too. (Thanks again to everyone I interviewed!!)

And finally, the Titan Radio Christmas party was pretty successful :) I've been all about baking lately so I really enjoyed making cookies for that and seeing who won the superlatives. Thanks to everyone that came...hope you had a good time!

Have a Fabulous Christmas break and I can't wait to see everyone in January!!

2 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Thank you for writing an honest and helpful senior project paper. I think it will help you decide your next step-- freelance an article on something topical, trendy and hip for publication in a regional or niche magazine.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Tandi Lane said...

Hey Amy, it's defiantely ok to feel a little lost. You may always feel that way until you just know you've found your nuche and you're settled. I read an article once talking about women from the age of 22-26 or so feel really unsettled and depressed because they're just trying to figure things out. Well, you may feel lost, but don't forget to enjoy yourself along the way. Learn something from every job and every class and develop skills that will help you in your career and life in general!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home