life...or something like it

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Well it’s back to school time…for the last time! I’m pretty much picking up where I left off…so here goes.

Since my senior project involves my dating article from Westminster Magazine, I asked a local newspaper editor from my hometown to critique it. Her name is Georgia Boring, and she is the editor of the Penn-Franklin News in Murrysville. Marshall Adams, News Director at KDKA 1020, is actually familiar with the paper and keeps in contact with those who work there. I explained the purpose of the article and what in particular I wanted her feedback on the most. She returned some constructive criticism and some suggestions to make the article more relevant.

First of all, she pointed out that I never answered my own question in the title (to date or not to date?). I provided opinionated interviews to give an inside look at what it’s like to date on campus…but never came to any real conclusion. Also, she suggested that I broaden my interviews to include professionals, local restaurant-owners, professors, etc. This would make my story a little more valid considering that students are mostly just guessing on what dating is like in the “real world”…because none of us are there yet! As for the writing style and technical stuff, she didn’t have too much of a problem with. I really appreciate her feedback, and it was nice to get an outsider’s opinion.

So now I just need to figure out where to go from here. On the one hand, I’d like to just start all over with new interviews and music and make a better long format story.

In other news, I’m excited about my classes this semester! (That will wear off…) I’m looking forward to announcing with Dr. B because all of the projects sound like a lot of fun. Also, I’m loving the idea to have someone in the newsroom each day to kind of regulate things…I think news will come a long way this semester. I have sort of have a big work load with science and politics and the digital photography class, but there’s only one semester to go.

Pem and Em returned on the air on Wednesday morning!!! One of my favorite things J I have a regular shift Mondays from 4-6 and news Friday mornings at 8 and 9…so don’t forget to tune in!!

2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger Liz Farry said...

Wow, science, politics, and digital photography? That's pretty impressive...or crazy. :)

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Tandi Lane said...

How wonderful that you gave your article to professionals that not only can give you feedback on your work, but are great people to network with too! Very smart Amy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home