life...or something like it

Monday, February 26, 2007

And the Oscar goes to...


Well, the Oscars aired last night, and I swear there is more hype before and after the event than the show itself. From some awkward red carpet interviews to Elton John’s pink leisure suits at his after party…it really seemed like a top night. I’d like to share some of my likes and dislikes of this year’s show…and how it almost seems to be losing its luster in some ways.
First of all, I like awards shows in general because there is always room for error. As scripted as they try to make them, people still can’t read the tele-prompter, acceptance speeches are dragged out to no end, and at least one celebrity is left standing dumbfounded at the podium. It was a little awkward when Clint Eastwood presented an Oscar for a lifetime achievement in musical scoring and the guy spoke in Italian…but even better when Eastwood translated!! I was impressed, but I’m sure he had some help from those backstage. I have to say I thought Ellen was very entertaining as a host. She kept the mood light and is a master at ad-libbing. I was also a fan of Will Ferrell and friends’ musical number about not being nominated for any Oscars. Also, the people rolling around behind the screen and making themselves into scenes from certain movies were pretty unique.
Let’s not lie to ourselves…there were some parts of the show I could’ve done without. One being, Al Gore’s ongoing (…and going) joke about announcing candidacy for President. It was funny the first time, let it go. I was also happy to see Jennifer Hudson lost the space cadet jacket by the time she accepted the Oscar for best supporting actress in Dreamgirls. As much as I love some of her jams (I still cry when I hear the theme from Titanic) I wasn’t the biggest fan of Celine Dion’s little concert. And what was with the hair this year? Apparently I’ve been at the height of fashion for quite a few years by simply straightening my hair and wearing it down. I was disappointed with the fashion trends this year. They were sort of boring and predictable…nothing gorgeous, nothing hideous.
Which brings me to my picks for best dressed of the evening. For the gals, I have to go with Naomi Watts. Maybe it’s just because yellow is my favorite color, but I thought the dress/hair combination went very well on her. As for the guys, you can never go wrong with Leonardo DiCaprio or Ryan Gosling. They tied for first. I’m not sure I could really pick a worst since none of the outfits seemed too daring. Oh wait, yes I can. Jessica Beil. Her dress had no shape…and even less support. Not a fan…no wonder Justin went with Scarlett.
It must be so fun (and equally stressful) to be involved in such a prestigious event. However, even though the ratings suggested otherwise (up from last year), The Oscars seem to be losing their shine. Besides Jennifer Hudson, there seemed to be a lack of emotion. Is Hollywood getting bored with it? Are people even watching for the awards (I didn’t recognize half of the movies) or just for the fashion blunders? Sometimes I wonder if anyone would notice if they kept up the pre-show and post-show hype (interviews, fashion, dates, parties) but just got rid of the middle man (the actual show) altogether.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home